Great email marketing resource
The 8 point nutshell in an even smaller nutshell:
1. Design your email for mobile because half of everyone who reads it will probably read it on a mobile device.
2. Subject lines with less than 10 characters work best and beyond 60-70 characters you are wasting your time (thats about one third of an SMS). “Do you want to boost clicks (response) or opens (awareness)? Go long for clickthroughs; keep it short for opens.”
3. 8pm to midnight is when customers are likely to get your message or maybe even read your email possibly because email volume is lower or possibly because TV is so crap or TV might be so good and they are watching TV with their iPad.
4. Re-engage the 65% of people in your list who really don’t read your email, you have about 90 days from their first sign up to really get them on board or you will have to try again later.
5. Offer free stuff in your email
6. Email is still better than Facebook and Twitter
7. You can get slightly better open and click through results on the weekend
8. Don’t personalise unless you mean it, for example get the customers name right – ie not Dear MatthewL but Dear Matthew – use clean data or don’t use it at all as its probably damaging to your relationship with that customer
Extras – Try using ‘Read this in your browser’ top right